Essential Question: What does effective communication look like?
Background: Having a thoughtful conversation with someone is one of the most important skills needed to be successful in whatever you do in life. This assignment will help you develop a number of skills necessary to effectively communicate one-on-one with someone.
Major Learning Targets:
Apply listening strategies while conducting an interview
Organize thoughts/ideas into a clear and coherent outline
Develop and use a variety of types of questions
Determine appropriate way to organize a speech
Guidelines: You must interview someone of interest. Think of a subject carefully; you may want to go beyond the bounds of school and familiar territory, or you may use this as an opportunity to learn more about a friend or family member. The goal of the speech is for you to gain some knowledge or insight into a time, lifestyle, problem, or occupation and to share that with the audience in a speech revolving around a single story.
Purpose: The purpose of the Interview Speech is to motivate or inspire; delivery can be humorous, dramatic, etc. to fit with the tone of the overall message.
StoryCorps is a great resource with a huge bank of interview questions to use; here’s a big list of Story Corps Questions!
*interviewee must be 22+ years old; no siblings/parents unless cleared by Mr. Parker*
- Determine who you will interview by Monday 10/16
- Narrow the topic or “focus” the subject matter of the interview. In other words, don’t interview someone on their entire life, but a particular experience, story, event, etc. about their life.
- Contact the subject and request an interview for a convenient time and place
- Prepare a list of questions (7-10) by Monday 10/16
- Formulate follow up questions during the interview to focus the conversation
- Conduct the interview and take careful notes (or record) by Sunday 10/22
- Identify key points of interview and develop an outline by Thursday 10/26
- Develop notecards based on your outline
- Practice Wednesday 10/26
- Present! 10/27-11/1
Deadline Requirements: (10/26)
- 3-5 minutes in length
- 3 note cards -> 30 words max per card
- 10 interview questions + notes
- Practice Ticket
- Outline (typed)
- Celebrity Interview – question prep
- Teacher Interview – question prep, conduct interview, internal structure
- Classmate Interview – question prep, conduct interview, full outline, delivery